Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Emmanuel: God with us

This post will be short, but my message is of great importance. We may at times ask ourselves the question: What is Christianity? Or where is Christianity? Or where is the God we confess in and pray to? But this I tell you. God has not abandoned the people of Calcutta. He is here. Though it may be hard for you at home to comprehend, He is truly present here. He lives here among the poorest of the poor. He has moved the hearts of people to come to Calcutta, to be carrier of His Love. He has risen believes from all over the world to go out in the name of Jesus to serve the unloved, unwanted and the uncared for.
As I share with you the stories of the brokenness and suffering I witness here, it’s my hope they create in you a heart that cries out to God. In Matthew 9:36, God’s Word tells us that when Jesus saw the crowds he had compassion on them. As you meet the suffering people of India through me, I pray for God to move in your heart and to fill you with the compassion of Jesus. It’s difficult to be a voice for these people, but I hope my witness will call you to pray for these people and to look at them with compassion. God may not look like what we expect, but He is truly present. When we make God present to each other, He steps out of Scripture and becomes Emmanuel. He becomes God with us. When we are present, available, to one another, God becomes present too.
Getting closer to people helps us to see and hear them more clearly. The last six weeks I have seen and heard things, I would normally not see or hear, because I was close and not far. I have seen the faces of the poorest of the poor, I have touched their broken and fragile bodies, I have held their hands, I have heard their cries, and I watched them die. They are no longer the people I have read about, they are now people I have walked among. I don’t think I will ever be the same again.
I know some of you would like to read about my volunteering experience, and I promise to write a blog about it, when I have allowed all to sink in. I am off to the Philippines tonight. I hope I will be returning to Calcutta to serve the poorest of the poor again, hopefully in near future. In the meantime, I will look for Jesus in His distressing disguise in my own community.
Regardless of how, who or what have led you to my blog, I want to thank you for stopping by. I hope and pray that what I have written so far has encouraged, convinced, inspired or challenged you in some way to go beyond yourself – to do more than you have ever done for God and His purposes.
I dedicate this post to everyone, who makes Jesus present to me. Thanks for your time, love, support and encouragement. Thank you for being available. Thank you for your witness. I love you all dearly.
Wherever you are in life, be all there. Find Jesus where you are and serve Him.
Love one another!
With love, Mette

No comments:

Post a Comment